By rental only, but many events are also hosted here!
The Pitman Theatre is a multi-functional rental facility, available to the community for a variety of functions. Its history, however starts in the 1947. Designed by Birmingham based architect David O. Whilldin, the Pitman opened in 1947. Its first showing was "Slave Girl", starring Yvonne de Carlo. One of the Pitmans main luxuries was that it had air-conditioning, a luxury back then.
After it opened, it began a friendly rivalry with the Princess Theatre, also on Broad Street. The rivalry ended on November 4, 1963 when the Princess was destroyed by a fire. In 1963, it hosted actors Mary Badham and Phillip Alford at the premier of "To Kill A Mockingbird". In January of 1981, it reduced to weekend showings, and on October 2, 1983, it closed its doors for good.
The City of Gadsden purchased the theatre on September 25, 1986, after the owner, C.S. Pitman, passed away. After sitting vacant for 11 years, efforts were begun to restore the building. In 2010, the lower level was completed, and the theatre was opened to the public as a multifunction community center.